Derbyshire Sports Awards
Eckington Swimming Club was recently nominated for “Club of The Year 2017” in the Derbyshire Sports Awards which is run by the Derby Telegraph. The Derbyshire Sports Awards celebrate and reward the outstanding achievements of Derbyshire’s exceptional sporting successes. Across professional and amateur sport in the area, disabled and non-disabled people are recognised, demonstrating to the wider community that Derbyshire really is home to some of the most successful sporting talents and rising stars in the country today.
All nominations for the Derbyshire Sports Awards were put forward at local district level (North East Derbyshire District Council) and the winners at local district level then made up the final list to be judged by the Derbyshire County panel.
The reasons for nominating Eckington Swimming Club were as follows:
- In October 2017, the Club was so committed to the sport of swimming that the Committee and Coaches put in place a comprehensive temporary training schedule at 5 other training facilities during the 5 month closure of Eckington Swimming Pool. The temporary training schedule allowed swimmers to get as much swim time as was possible, which was particularly important for the competitive swimmers during what was a brand new swim season at the time.
- In March 2017, the Committee and Coaches restructured the swimming club by reducing the number of swim squads, increasing swim time and aligning the club to the Long Term Athlete Development model.
- In May 2017, 10 swimmers qualified to take part in the East Midland Regional Championships.
- In July 2017, the club was awarded Swim Mark Accreditation.
- In August 2017, Ellie Tennant and William Hogg qualified for the English National Swimming Competition at Ponds Forge. Both Ellie and William qualified for the finals.
North East Derbyshire Sports Awards – Club of the Year 2017
On Wednesday 4th October 2017, Eckington Swimming Club received the local district level award – “North East Derbyshire Sports Awards Club of the Year 2017“. The award was presented by North East Derbyshire District Council’s leader, Councillor Graham Baxter MBE, at the council’s headquarters. Ten athletes and clubs (including Eckington Swimming Club) were honoured at the awards ceremony for their commitment to sport and the achievements they had made over the last 12 months. William Hogg and Ellie Tennant (pictured with Councillor Baxter) stepped up to receive the “Club of the Year 2017” award on behalf of everyone at Eckington Swimming Club.
All winners in the North East Derbyshire Sports Awards (pictured):
Here are details of everyone who received a North East Derbyshire Sports Award (in the order they were presented):
- Richard Walker – Lifetime Achievement Award- Amateur Boxing
- Matthew Cooper – Sportsman of the Year – Fencing
- Imogen Clark – Sportswoman of the Year – Swimming
- Tom Dawson – Service to Sport Award – Cricket
- Dronfield Diamonds – Community Award – Jogging
- Anthony Klenczar – Manager/Coach of the Year – Fencing
- Eckington Swimming Club – Club of the Year – Swimming
- Tupton Hall U14 Girls – Junior Team of the Year – Football / cricket
- Niamh Emerson – Young Sportswoman of the Year – Athletics
- Adam Morewood – Young Sportsman of the Year – Bike Trails
Eckington Swimming Club is extremely proud to be up amongst the sporting stars of North East Derbyshire.
Derbyshire Sports Awards – Finalist for Derbyshire Club of the Year 2017
At Eckington Swimming Club’s “Club Championships” competition on Friday 13th October at Eckington Swimming Pool, a public announcement was made just before the start of the competition to all spectators and swimmers that Eckington Swimming Club had been shortlisted as one of three finalists for the Club of the Year category for the Derby Telegraph Sports Awards!
The winner of the Derbyshire Sports Awards was announced on Thursday 9th November 2017, the winner being Derby County Ladies Football Club (Football Association Women’s Premier League team). Eckington Swimming Club are proud to have been chosen as a finalist and be amongst the great sporting clubs like Derby County Ladies Football Club and also Amber Valley Gymnastics (the 3rd finalist at the Derbyshire Sports Awards).